“Did you ever wonder if there was a master checklist of compliance issues facing the automotive recycling industry? The answer to your question lies within the ARA Certified Automotive Recyclers (CAR) program.
Many of the qualifications take into consideration quality and safety issues that could cause detrimental outcomes should something happen if neglected. While there are no guarantees, it just makes sense to consider to be CAR to save dollars in potential consequences.
In 2020, ARA Certification has gone to an online system. Functionally, it is a checklist for tracking compliance at a professional auto recycler’s facility.
The value-added aspect of certification lies in the compliance verification and the continual improvement process! The designation as CAR Certified is the badge of honor those compliant members can proudly display to be recognized for their achievement.
Here are the qualifications needed, along with notations on photos or verifications required for certification. Some auto recyclers find it easier if a “library” of photos is placed in a single folder on their computer prior to answering the questions. For some processes, proper documentation is required. This “library” proof of excellence also comes in handy for times when you could be required to show that the facility is operating within industry “best practices.”
Below is the list of standards to be met within the CAR Program:
General Business Standards
1) Customer Parking – Is Customer Parking separate from the Vehicle Holding area with adequate Grading and Drainage? Photo Required
2) Sales & Reception area – Is this clean and organized? Photo Required
3) Department of Labor – Is the required Department of Labor Employee Information Signage posted? Photo Required
4) Building & Property Maintenance and Appearance – Are buildings and property well maintained? Photo Required
5) Salvage Vehicle Storage – Is Salvage Vehicle Storage Safe and Organized?
Photo Required (Two Views)
6) Fluid Removal & Dismantling Area(s) – Do all Designated Dismantling Areas have a Roof and an Impervious Surface? Photo Required (Two Views)
7) Are Used Oils Stored in a Secondary Containment area with Cover, or inside a Container in Good Condition? Photo Required
8) Is all Antifreeze Stored in a Secondary Containment area with Cover, or inside a building in a Container in Good Condition? Photo Required
9) Is all Fuel Storage located outside, away from structures (distance according to local fire code) with covered Secondary Containment in tanks in Good Condition? Photo Required
10) Are all Batteries stored inside a Covered Storage Area on an Impervious Surface and Stacked no more than Three (3) high? Photo Required
11) Are all Refrigerants evacuated for Recycling, Disposal or Reuse using approved operable refrigerant reclamation equipment? Photo Required
12) Are less than 1,500 scrap tires stored on-site in a trailer or cage(s), not adjacent to buildings or perimeter of yard, in compliance with State requirements? Photo Required
13) Do Designated Core Storage Areas (Engines & Transmissions) have a roof and are they situated on an Impervious Surface? Photo Required (Two Views)
14) Are Fluids from Crushing Contained and Collected for Disposal? Photo Required
15) Is the Crusher Area free of any Spills or Leaks on the Ground? Photo Required
16) Is pressure/power washing conducted inside with overspray of oily wastewater lawfully discharged to sewer or contained and recycled or transported for allowable disposal for facilities with septic systems? Photo Required
17) Are Spent Solvents managed as
Hazardous Waste and manifested with a Hazardous Waste Management company?
18) Is wastewater lawfully discharged to sewer or contained and recycled or transported for allowable disposal for facilities with septic systems? Photo Required
19) Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP) – Does the facility have a written and implemented Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP) that includes employee training and logged inspections? Document Verification Required
20) Storm Water Sampling – Is Storm Water Sampling conducted at intervals required under the state permit such as annually, quarterly or per 5-year permit authorization or is not required by the state? Document Verification Required
21) Spill Prevention Control and Countermeasure – If site has more than 1320 gallons of On-Site Storage for Petroleum Product (Oil and Fuel), is a Spill Prevention Control and Countermeasure (SPCC) plan written and implemented including regularly logged inspections? or <1,320 gallons of storage so No SPCC is required. Document Verification Required
22) OSHA Regulatory Review – Safety Data Sheets (SDS) – Are Workplace chemicals listed in an Inventory and the corresponding Safety Data Sheets (SDS) information complete, up-to-date and easily accessible? Document Verification Required
23) Is basic Personal Protective Equipment available and used when required? Photo Required
24) Is OSHA Approved 15-Minute Eye Wash Station readily accessible near all Fluid Evacuation Areas & near Corrosive Materials? Photo Required
25) Are Fire Extinguishers readily available, appropriately labeled and Fully Charged with appropriate inspection tag? Photo Required
26) Are First Aid Kits readily available to employees in close proximity to the dismantling areas, and adequately sized for the number of employees in that area? Photo Required
27) Are Lock Out Tag Out (LOTO) supplies, such as hasp locks and tags, available? Photo Required
28) Is the ARA Cutting Torch Use Education and Orientation Protocol signed by all Employees using a Cutting Torch or has Cutting Torch been removed from facility? Document Verification Required
29) Are Spill Kits located throughout the facility Photo Required
30) Self Service Facilities Safety Signs – Are Safety Signs & Reminders posted and visible for Customers at Self Service facilities and for Employees at all facilities?
31) Shipping of Airbags – Does the site have Documentation of DOT Certification Training for Dangerous Goods shipping provided within the past three years for all Employees Associated with the Shipping of Airbags/Seatbelt Pretensioners/Hybrid Batteries or DO NOT ship HazMat from facility? Document Verification Required 32) Forklift Training – Does the site have Documentation within the past three years of Certification Training provided to all Forklift Operators? Document Verification Required
ARA Certification has a new website, at https://aracertification.com. For more information on becoming CAR Certified, email ARA at firstname.lastname@example.org.